12.01.2004

Wrist Warmer Pattern

11/24/2008 - PDF Version


From the Irish Hiking Scarf Knit Along: Ok, here is the pattern modification for the wrist warmers

EDITED TO ADD:
I used Cascade 220 (Worsted Weight) and size 8 (US) needles.

Note on gauge: I didn't do a swatch so I have no idea what it came out to, but I tend to knit a bit tighter than your average knitter.

PATTERN
Worked flat, then seamed up at the end.

Cast on 40 stitches.
Row 1. (WS) K1, P2, K2, P6, K2, P2, K2, P6, K2, P2, K2, P6, K2, P2, K1
Row 2. (RS) K3, P2, K6, P2, K2, P2, K6, P2, K2, P2, K6, P2, K3
Row 3. (WS) REPEAT ROW 1.
Row 4. (RS) REPEAT ROW 2.
Row 5. (WS) REPEAT ROW 1.
Row 6. (RS) REPEAT ROW 2.
Row 7. (WS) REPEAT ROW 1.
Row 8. (RS) K3, P2, C6F, P2, K2, P2, C6F, P2, K2, P2, C6F, P2, K3

Do 4 Repeats. On the 5th Repeat, work rows 1-5 (finish WS row)
Next row, begin ribbing
Work 8 rows of 1x1 Ribbing
Cast Off

EDITED TO ADD: Since I have gotten a lot a questions about what 'C6F' is, here is a bit of a clarification:

Put the first 3 stitches on the cable needle and let it drop in front of the work. Knit the next 3 on the kntting needle. Finally, knit the 3 you had on the cable needle starting with the stitch on the far right. I will try and take a few photos to clarify and post them when I can.

Begin seaming from the top. Seam the ribbed area, then leave a 1 1/2 inch hole for your thumb. Resume seaming using the mattress stitch to create the illusion of the double rib pattern (See photo).



Hope that makes sense. I am new at writing up patterns :)

Have a Great Night!

54 comments:

IndigoMuse said...

I LOVE the look of these wrist warmers. So chic and cably! I might need to incorporate them into my CKFOP projects. Thanks for sharing.

IM

Delia said...

Thanks! I already started my 2nd pair. Before the winter is over I will have about 30 pairs of wrist warmers and leg warmers!

d

PBnJ said...

gorgeous! i can't wait to try my hand at this pattern. =D thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

That's beautiful! I'm gonna make one for my brother. Thanks for sharing your pattern.

Kitty :)

Anonymous said...

helllllp! I'm having difficulty with the last row! Can anyone help me??

Tabatha

tabatha.hagen@gmail.com

natasha said...

the cable that turns into the thumbholes is a really nice design feature! bravo! clapclapclap!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I love your pattern! But I was wondering what the C6F is? I'm pretty sure it's a cable stich... but if you have instructions on how to do that stich, and if you would be so kind, would you e-mail it to me? It would be so nice of you... thanks a lot.

emma_dew2@yahoo.com

Delia said...

Thanks for all the nice comments!

Anonymous said...

Could you explain the cabled row a little more? I haven't done that before, so, c6f, means, cable 6 forward, so you put 6 stitches on a cable needle, then what?
Could someone email me with the answer? Thanks,
Colleen
chelferty@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

I will like to do this pattern but I will need someone to teel me what c6f mean?? I'm new in this
Thank you

Anonymous said...

I've been working really hard at getting the last row right and I happened to notice other people were having problems with the c6f thing. I am lost on the last row. Can someone please help? Thanks.

acoustiqsoul@comcast.net

Unknown said...

beautiful! i made them and will post a picture on my blog in a few days. i'm sending out the first pair i made as a solstice gift and i don't want the receiver to see (yet)! i added a bit of eyelash yarn at the cuffs for extra pizzazz. this is the FIRST cable project i've knit and it was perfect to begin on! thank you so much for sharing

Anonymous said...

Great pattern, these are fast and easy and look great!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, everyone, but I'm really confused. What's a cable needle? How does that part work? Thanks. Sorry to be a bother.

Anonymous said...

hello! I just found your lovely pattern & I'm curious how much yarn this takes? I got a lovely skein of Noro Kureyon & I'd love to use it, any suggestions?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the awesome pattern, but I seem to be having a problem.. they are way too big! I made one of the pair and it seems to be huge on me(btw I don't have small hands). Could you tell me the gauge measurements?

Anonymous said...

thanks for posting this pattern! i made these for a friend for christmas and she LOVED THEM! it was my first cable project also!

i'll definitely be making myself a pair of these! :)

emily said...

Those arm warmers are amazing! I am definitely going to make myself a pair. :)

Anonymous said...

Could you supply this much needed info: Is that 4ply worsted weight yarn or what? Is the needle size you give in USA or mm sizes? Thank you in advance, it's a very pretty pattern.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this pattern. I've already made 10 pair. It's been a great way to use a lot of leftover yarn.
YM

Anonymous said...

Has anyone tried to make these in a different gague with a different yarn, I am thinking about using size 9 needles with a chunky yarn and reducing the K2's to K1's and the P2's to P1's which leaves only thirty cast on stitches. I think this will work. Let me know if you have any ideas...

I love this pattern it is so cute

Krugie@ucla.edu
Sara

Knitcrazy said...

Thanks so Much...
I am working on the scarf and printed out the hat and now I must have these wristwarmers also... :)

Oh And I think thats so cool to wear a dress over your Jeans....great Look !!!!
Penny
http://pennyknits.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you're overly concerned, but the PDF link is no longer functional.

These are going to be my first cabling project, and I'm making decent headway thus far. They're really cute!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much! These are great. My friend made them for me for Christmas, and now I have decided to make them as gifts for others on my list! Wonderful and fabulously warm.

Anonymous said...

is there any way to make them without the twisty cord?

Anonymous said...

You did a great job and they look so classy! Love 'em.

Anonymous said...

does ribbing just mean, K1,P1,K1,P1, or K2,P2,K2,P2?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this pattern. I tried it as my first ever cable project and I'm thrilled how they came out. I added a little crocheted edging. THANK YOU!!

Jodi in Alabama
http://needleplayer.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Delia~
Thank you for sharing this wonderfully simple, yet elegant, design for wrist warmers! I have just completed my first pair and will no doubt knit up many more. Just had to express my compliments and encourage you to design other knitwear! You are genius!
TLW

Helaine said...

I love, love these wrist warmers. Would you like to see a picture of mine when I have them done?

Helaine

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing the pattern! I knitted one yesterday and I'll knit the other one tonight :)

Anonymous said...

1x1 rib is k1,p1,k1,p1,k1,p1. 2x2 rib is k2,p2,k2,p2,k2,p2. Heck, if you really wanted to, you could use any numberup to as high as you can count to!

Heidi said...

I love this pattern!
Just started my first pair =)

-Heidi

Unknown said...

Hi, I just wanted you to know that I love this pattern and made several sets for Christmas gifts this year. I also mentioned your pattern and posted a link over on my blog! Thanks for sharing!

Trish
etrish.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

Love this pattern! I've made three sets as gifts already for this year and am working on a fourth pair for myself right now. Super simple, and just lovely!

Mary said...

Love this pattern! Thanks for making it a freebie. :-) (I converted my Word version to PDF, which I prefer.)

AJ said...

I LOVE this pattern! I'm probably going to use this as practice for the Irish Hiking Scarf, and then pair them together.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I knitted these as only my 3rd or 4th project since teaching myself to knit...and i'm so impressed with the result, I changed the end bit a little with 2 rows of seed stitch. Hope you like my efforts! Katherin
http://wineandneedles.blogspot.com/2004/12/wrist-warmer-pattern.html
http://wineandneedles.blogspot.com/2004/12/wrist-warmer-pattern.html

Anonymous said...

http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i267/muddypaws04/?action=view¤t=ebay036.jpg
http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i267/muddypaws04/?action=view¤t=ebay035.jpg
don't know what happened with my photo links on my comment! 8)

Anonymous said...

These are fantastic! They look great, they're lovely and warm and the pattern was so simple to follow. Thanks heaps :)

Anonymous said...

I was dying to make a pair of these but all patterns called for knitting them in the round. How happy was I when I found this pattern. I started a pair in hot pink last night and so far they look great!!! Thanks so much for sharing your pattern.

Anonymous said...

Lovely pattern. Made one up just to see how it went and apart from my printer being down, and not quite writing out the eighth row correctly it didn't look too bad. My very first attempt at cable so that was an achievement in itself. Thanks heaps for a fantastic pattern and easy to follow instructions.

Shana said...

Hey there,
I was just wondering if you allowed people to sell projects made from your pattern, or if that was an issue with copyright.
Thanks!
Shana

Melinda said...

Hi, the word version of this pattern is leading to a 404 page not found error.

Anonymous said...

Can you please post the PDF or the Word doc of this pattern again, the link is broken. Many thanks!

muddypaws said...

Hi, thank you so much for this lovely pattern. I have knitted two pairs so far. This is the latest pair, for myself. Using a gorgeous Krafty Koala yarn.
[IMG]http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i267/muddypaws04/January2009004.jpg[/IMG]

Jessica Wilcox said...

OH MY GOSH!!! I LOVE this pattern SOO much!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I've gotten a ridiculous amount of compliments on my first pair.. Because of them, I have a bunch of ladies wanting to learn to knit. Keep the creativity flowin!

Unknown said...

I'm just about to finish my first pair of these armwarmers in a lovely Italian merino - the color is a lovely plum-wine sort of shade and it's a luxurious yarn. I've gotten a request for a pair as a present from my mother and I haven't worn them anywhere yet! It's great to find a pattern for armwarmers that fits me, for I have small hands and thin wrists, and they're knit flat which is great. Also my first cable project, but I've already got plans to make an Irish Hiking Scarf to match! A lovely pattern and thanks so much for posting it!

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to making these for Xmas gifts! From one "Delia" to another, Thank You for the pattern!

~Delia Hubbard

Anonymous said...

Great project, made one of the pair, lovely. I am having problem with the mattress stitch, found some tutorials on line but the edge of mine doesn't look right. I think it is because every row starts and finishes with a knit stitch. Can you post the instructions on how to seam them up. My edges just don't look quite right to follow other peoples guidelines.
Thanks

Hanny said...

In Holland the patterns are written in an different way and I do'not understand the meaning of some things.
What means:
K1, K2, K3
P2, P6?

Can somebody explain this to me?
Thank you.
Hanny

Anonymous said...

At first the pattern looked very intimidating for a beginner, but once I got into the groove, I no longer had to look at my page and I remembered the sequences. Very easy, I made both wrist warmers this weekend. I love the cable look! Thank you.

Lillian said...

I absolutely love this pattern. I can make a pair in a day. I have make this for all my female family members. So easy to follow and fast to knit. I live in Florida but most of my family lives in the north. Made them for my children and grandchildren.
I always check your blog for new items. Thank you and God Bless.

Anonymous said...

I'm fairly new to knitting and very new to cables. I don't understand the repeat part. What am I repeating? rows 1 - 8 ?