4.30.2007

Reason #495 Not to Compulsively Buy Yarn

I had a great giggle after reading the comments from the last post about having "knitting reservists" to come in and complete WIP's when I'm too tired. I pictured a personal gnome whisking a pesky sleeve from the basket and finishing it in the night while I slept, and I awoke to a perfectly bound-off, neatly folded piece.

Clearly I need to get some more sleep.

Anyhow, in the spirit of flashing WIPs, here's another one:

Sideways Spencer, from a 2004 IK.

I've gone back and forth about ripping this out because I am terrified it will make my chest look ginormous. However, something is telling me to keep going so we shall see. I have a lot of waistbands and buttonbands in my future.

Quickly on its way to FO status is Buck-Fifty:


This is the last piece... the left front... and it's already been partically knit, ripped, and re-knit in the last 24 hours. So so so close. I've made about a million modifications to this sweater; I'll post about them when I finish.

Finally, was I out of my mind to order a box of bulky wool when it is freaking HOT outside (it was 97 on Saturday!!)? I may or may not have also been suffering from heat stroke at the time, because I bought what might quite possibly the uglist skein of yarn ever.

Seriously, what am I going to make with this?

10 comments:

CjSachiko said...

Wow. That is definitely one interesting skein. I think that would be a fun viral blog meme to do. Post the ugliest yarn ever bought/received, and what was done with it. Take care and stay cool! ;)

Stef said...

I once spent a lot of time in a yarn store near San Jose where that kind of yarn was all the rage with the little old ladies. I say you start a shapeless kimono-sleeved miter-square jacket with it, and then set it aside for your middle age.

But really, overdye it in kool-aid and make the Glampyre one-skein wonder.

Chris said...

Um. Hmm. Make a tiny felted bag? Or take Stef's advice and overdye it.

bellamoden said...

Ariacuna Maganelles, it looks like... am I right?

Can't wait to see your dollar and half done!

Emy said...

No no no, the Magallanes is pretty. I almost liked it even though I have an aversion to warm colors.

Make a big-assed throw to snuggle under during weekends in Tahoe. Just make sure you're in some serious AC while you're knitting it, or don't start until...October. LATE October.

Emy said...

Although, now I'm looking at CJ's note, and pondering some of the crap my MIL has given me. I really wish she'd stop.

Anonymous said...

I don't mind it at all, actually. It looks to me like a less glorious Manos del Uruguay. Out of which I made the Lace-Up Fingerless Gloves from Alterknits, and which are my favorite knitted item. Something to think about, as it will get cold again, someday...

Unknown said...

I received a box of Lamb's Pride Bulky recently...yes...it's a compulsion. *sigh*

and SPENCER!! I remember seeing it on a blog years ago, and just last week I thought I really wanted to knit it, but had no idea where it was from. But now I know! Off to track that mag down...

Christie said...

Your two sweaters look great! I'm excited to see the $1 & 1/2.

That ball of yarn doesn't look that ugly. If you really hate it, why not make a cute market bag?

Unknown said...

I say you knit the thing and felt it into a bowl and call it the Fugly Bowl. But felted into a round bowl might look good, kinda like a watercolor painted bowl. That is my 2 cents for what it's worth.