6.22.2007

Faith (Havadk), Hope (Hooys), Love (Ser), and Baptism (Mgrdootiun)

Last night I was baptized in the Armenian Orthodox Church.




I was raised in the Christian faith, but my parents chose not to baptize my sister or I so that we could be able to make our own decisions about our religious preferences. I started attending this parish with Matt, and I was very drawn to the symbolism and the way Christianity was celebrated. This was a step towards our marriage in the church, but the decision was mine and I am very glad I made it. Matt's brother is my god father, and a very close family friend is my godmother. Kinda neat being able to choose your own godparents!



There is a neat story behind my cross. A gift from Matt's godparents, this is the same cross he was baptized in as an infant. They then asked Matt's parents to keep it and give it to the woman he was going to marry someday.

I've been zen knitting on Thermal and only Thermal all week. I think I am craving some simplicity in this circus that has been wedding planning. True comfort knitting, if you will.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

congratulations on your baptism. faith is something that should always be choosen by the individual. i am glad your life is coming together so beautifully.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! And just so you're clear - getting into work mode (from your previous post) WILL NOT get any easier as the wedding approaches. Get whatever you can done now for the wedding, the house and work because perfectly well intentioned people will probably start pulling you in eighty different directions! Just my experience - will be so glad when the wedding is over and we are married!

Unknown said...

Wow, that's such an awesome background on the cross!

congrats!!

Oh, and the Gloss I just bought is for Thermal too, I think I'll really enjoy the meditative aspect of knitting a repetitive pattern on really small yarn and needles. (But I know I'll have to be in the mood for that sort of thing!)

Christie said...

Oh, how wonderful! And you now have the cross he was baptized in! What a wonderful heirloom for the new family you will create!!

Carol said...

Congratulations semms like the wrong word, but I can't hink of another one, so it will have to do. Congratualtions! I love the story about the cross. Keepsakes like htat are the traditions that uphold family.

Stef said...

Congratulations, Delia! The story of the cross you're wearing really made my day.

a friend to knit with said...

Congratulations! That is fantastic! And the story behind the cross...so special!

Sorka said...

Congratulations!!! That is soo awsome! and soo sweet that you got to wear that special cross! I'm like tearing up!!!
Denise
knitchat.com