| Anyhow, on the last trip down south my co-worker and I roadtripped-it so I had no transport worries, but this time I'm flying and I am one of those people that has an unnatural phobia of being in the air. Case in point: I grip the chairs so tight during take-off my knuckles turn white. Turbulance [literally] makes me hyperventilate. Any change in the engine sound and I am praying for all my sins in preparation for meeting my maker. |
This will be my first flight as a knitter (yes, it's been about 8 months since I got on a plane), so hopefully it will make the time go quicker and help me take my mind off my
Has anyone ever tried to carry needles through LAX/Southwest and gotten them rejected?
Speaking of traveling, this is a meme from Lori, which I am entitling:
'The Very Un-Adventurous Travels of Delia'
bold the states you've been to, underline the states you've lived in and italicize the state you're in now...
Alabama / Alaska / Arizona / Arkansas / California / Colorado / Connecticut / Delaware / Florida / Georgia / Hawaii / Idaho / Illinois / Indiana / Iowa / Kansas / Kentucky / Louisiana / Maine / Maryland / Massachusetts / Michigan / Minnesota / Mississippi / Missouri / Montana / Nebraska / Nevada / New Hampshire / New Jersey / New Mexico / New York / North Carolina / North Dakota / Ohio / Oklahoma / Oregon / Pennsylvania / Rhode Island / South Carolina / South Dakota / Tennessee / Texas / Utah / Vermont / Virginia / Washington / West Virginia / Wisconsin / Wyoming / Washington D.C /
Go HERE to have a form generate the HTML for you.
I'm not close minded, just very attached to my home state.
10 comments:
I've knit on SWA flights and taken knitting needles through LAX several times. No problem at all.
Hi, I was really freaked out the first time I flew with knitting, but I had no problems at all. I did only bring bamboo though. The most stringent airport I've flown through was Atlanta, GA. Good luck and have fun!
LAX has never been a problem for me. Last time I flew out of there my carryon was packed with my entire collection of DPNs and every knit tool I own except the scissors. I have heard those clover cutters are being rejected sometimes, though, so don't risk one of those for such a short flight. Southwest didn't give me any lip, either although bear in mind my admonishment about getting in the C is for Crap section.
You will have NO PROBLEM with knitting needles at all! :-)
The ONLY airport that I've had 100% problems with is the Birmingham, England airport...and they JUST formally added knitting needles to their carry-on banned list.
I fly constantly and bring knitting needles on. Actually, the flight attendant was knitting with me! My friend flies SW all the time, and she constantly brings them.
-SP
Fellow flying phobic.
There are two things I do.
#1 - play my dh's flight simulator ad naseum. Something about knowing how a plane works gives you a sense of security.
#2 - from 'Say Anything' - most crashes happen in the first two minutes (or is it one) of take off. So I count off two minutes during take off then I can relax. It tried to relax AFTER the seatbelt sign went off, but found I just got nervous whenever they put it back on.
Oh yeah - #3 - get drunk.
I've only flown a few times since starting knitting and I've only had a problem the one time. They threated to take the needles, but I was allowed to take them on the plane per a supervisor. From what I've read, circ are easier to get on the plane than long-ass straight needles.
And it's stopped raining [for the moment!]...it's supposed to start up again Sunday night/Monday morning.
I hate to fly too, and now The Company is sending me everywhere. I agree with Jax... hit the airport bar and get a little buzzed before takeoff. Of course, I worry that being a little buzzed will interfere if I have to man an emergency exit for some bizarre reason. But yeah, a few Long Islang Iced teas go a long with me. ;)
I haven't knitted on aplane since pre-9/11. But I'm going to Quantico in a few months, and i think I'll give it a whilr this time. Good luck!
Thank you all for your commetns and suggestions. I am obviously home and alive, and I would like to report that:
1) I managed to stay sober during the entire flight
2) I got 3 pairs of circs and 1 pair of bamboo straights through the LAX check point (hell, I got a box of BLOCKING PINS through by accident)
3) I did not hyperventilate during turbulance.
The knitting suceeds in calming even the most panicked traveler!
Details to come...
I was a knitting Flight Attendant for years, and the only place I ever had a problem was the UK - do not try to take metal needles through Heathrow! You will succeed if you disguise bamboo circs as somekind of hair accesory, and put your yarn in your other bag.
In terms of flight - wow, I love flying - try to embrace the feeling of freedome, grab a window seat, and just be awed at the fact your flying miles up in the air!
Post a Comment